Tie dye is a fun activity for children and it's great for summer. Your children will have a blast expressing their creativity and creating their own custom items. Here are simple instructions and a few tips.
- Large buckets
- RIT Dye (and any items listed on the box)
- Rubber bands
- Cotton items to dye (cotton holds the dye the best)
- Large trash bags to wear as smocks
- Rubber gloves (optional)
- Pre-wash the items you're planning to tie dye.
- Mix your dye according to the package directions.
- Use rubber bands to create patterns on your items. Experiment with different techniques for a variety of patterns.
- Dip your items into the dye. Dip different sections into different colors, layer the color, etc.
- Follow the directions on your dye for how long to let the items set and how to wash them.
- Enjoy using or wearing your new tie dyed pieces!
- Choose an area of your yard where the dye can't stain anything (such as lawn furniture).
- Don't drop your items into the dye - dip them carefully to avoid splashing.
- Wear old clothes when tie dying. Even with smocks there's a good chance dye will end up on clothing.
Bear Hugs Baby Boutique